UPDATE: See details of new SWR timetable consultation here
Summary of SWR train timetable proposals
- Reduce the number of peak morning services from Hook and Winchfield to London from eight to five.
- Increase peak time services from Fleet by three.
Impact of SWR train timetable proposals
At first thought, the increase in Fleet services might seem like a good thing. And if accompanied by capacity increases elsewhere, then it would be a good thing. But, the cuts at Winchfield and Hook, coupled with the London line already running beyond capacity, these changes will lead to the following impact:
- Three peak-time services from Winchfield and Hook to London cut from the timetable
- Harder for commuters to get to work and for children to get to school/college
- Increased pressure on already over-crowded Fleet station, with no planned increase in car-parking capacity
- More road congestion and increased carbon footprint
Of course, we all know many thousands more houses are planned for the area, including 1,500 homes at Hartland Village (Pyestock). It cannot make sense to cut services in Hook and Winchfield and further increase the load on Fleet.
What can you do?
Ranil Jayawardena, our local MP has launched a campaign against these changes, so please do sign his petition that can be found here.
A Facebook group called Save our Station (SOS) Winchfield and Hook Stations Action Group, has been launched to combat the South Western Railways (SWR) train timetable changes. The group can be found here. Please do visit their page to learn more about what is going on and express your disgust at the proposed #SWRCuts.
It would also be helpful if you could respond to the consultation directly by emailing your views to email@example.com. We have created a handy template to help you that can be downloaded below.