The Ministry of Defence has announced the closure of 91 sites across the country as part of the ongoing restructuring to free up more brownfield sites in Rushmoor Borough.
Five of these sites are in Aldershot, which of course is in the Borough of Rushmoor. The sites are:
- Fitzwygram House (Royal Army Veterinary Corps Centre), Aldershot
- Thornhill barracks, Aldershot
- Aldershot distribution outlet
- Defence Infrastructure Organisation, Aldershot
- Clayton barracks, Aldershot
We can understand that these closures will be alarming for those working there. However, the positive news is that more brownfield sites are being freed up in Rushmoor, meaning they have more capacity to meet their own housing needs in future planning periods. This should help Hart Council in the production of the Hart Local Plan.