A big thank you to all the volunteers who have helped with the We Heart Hart leafleting campaign. Just before we started leafleting we had 923 signatories. Today, the number is 1,846; meaning the petition has doubled in size in just three weeks. This is more than three times the number of people who responded to Hart District Council’s consultation and more than 8 times the number of people who expressed a preference for a new town.
Support for our cause has increased after we published the legal opinion from Peter Village QC that said that Hart was in a “hopeless position” with the Local Plan. Surely it is time for Hart to think again and adopt our 5-point plan to bring the Local Plan back on track which is summarised below:
- Create a medium growth scenario with a lower housing requirement than the current high growth scenario to give an option to reduce the environmental impact of development.
- Create a formal brownfield option and invite a competition to design the best way of using our brownfield land.
- Do the work and consult upon the additional elements of a proper Local Plan such as employment, education, transport, retail and other infrastructure.
- Consider the Environment and Landscape by carrying out proper habitat studies and landscape character assessments.
- Fix the management and governance problems within Hart Council that have resulted in the past failure and current hopeless position.
If you would like to support our position, then please sign and share our petition.